(Roseville, CA. U.S.A.)
1. Think of any positive whole number. No fractions, no decimals,no percents.
2. Double that number.
3. Add 10 to that result in step 2.
4. Divide the result in step 3 by 2.
5. Subtract the number in step #1 from the number in step #4.
6. The answer will always be 5.
Let x be the number
Double x : 2x
Add 10 to 2x : 2x + 10
Divide the number by 2: (2x + 10) / 2 = x + 5
Subtract x from x + 5: x + 5 - x = 5
The answer is 5
Let 8 be the number
Double 8: 16
Add 10 to 16: 26
Divide 26 by 2: 26/2 = 13
Subtract 8 from 13: 13 - 8 = 5
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Basic math word problem.
Jan 20, 20 03:17 PM
Top-notch information for those who want to become a high school math teacher. All important stuff that you need to know before making a move can be found right here on this website.
New math lessons
Your email is safe with us. We will only use it to inform you about new math lessons.